Estates Gardener (Grade A)
- Estates Gardener
- Grade A
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Airedale General Hospital
- £20,669 per annum
- 19/06/2023 23:59
AGH Solutions is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Airedale NHS Foundation Trust. We are proud of our NHS heritage, and proud to be supporting Airedale’s clinical services.
We provide a wide range of services from traditional facilities management and estate maintenance, to sterile services, wheelchair engineering and procurement, to clients both within and beyond the NHS.
AGH Solutions is a wholly owned subsidiary of Airedale NHS Foundation Trust and provides Estates, Facilities and procurement services for the Trust. We are looking for a Gardener to join our team.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual capable of working well within our current Estates team who can carry out pre-planned and reactive maintenance to the grounds and gardens on the Hospital site. Suitable training will be offered to carry out this role.
We are seeking an individual with the experience and qualifications stated in the essential criteria within the person specification.
For further information please contact Chris Sharpe Estates Supervisor or Sam Barlow Gardening Team Leader on 01535 294827.
Main duties of the job
To undertake, with a minimum of supervision, routine grounds maintenance including:-
- Grass cutting with commercial machinery
- Control of weeds by manual and chemical means
- Litter collection around main entrance areas
- Planting out seasonal displays in beds and containers
- Seasonal pruning and plant care
- Hedge cutting and boundary maintenance by hand and with commercial equipment
- Minor tree surgery
- Winter gritting and snow clearing
- Basic maintenance of surface water drainage
- Application of fertilizers/top dressings to maintain quality of appearance
Working for our organisation
AGH Solutions was born out of Airedale NHS Foundation Trust, a hospital and community services trust based outside Keighley, West Yorkshire.
We are privileged to operate in a beautiful part of the country. The clinical services we support reach far up into the Yorkshire Dales, across the Airedale, Wharfedale and Craven patch. We are also lucky to have excellent transport links to Leeds, Bradford, Manchester and beyond. Leeds city centre is 25 minutes by train from Keighley.
We provide a wide range of services, from traditional facilities management and estate maintenance, to sterile services, wheelchair engineering and procurement.
Our vision is to bring you a flexible, responsive, high quality, value for money service.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Maintenance of the grounds and gardens within the Airedale Estate to the highest achievable standards.
Grass cutting routines with self-propelled commercial grade grass cutting machinery including basic machine maintenance/adjustment and the safe use of all grass cutting and other types of machinery to ensure safety of the individual and passers by.
Sweeping and cleaning roadways and main entrance areas, including the removal of litter, to maintain the Estate in a tidy condition.
Control of flower beds, hanging baskets and containers, including planting, pruning, weed control and feeding.
Control of weeds by traditional methods and by chemical spraying.
Roding and cleaning surface water drainage to ensure proper operation.
Participation in grounds improvement schemes and where required support other disciplines in developing the amenity value of the estate.
To assist with any other duties as assigned by the Head Gardener.
To be self-starting, self-motivating and capable of showing and using one’s own initiative.
To maintain customer confidentiality and promote good customer liaison at all times.
To provide assistance to Maintenance Engineers or other more senior grades on new works or repairs (not necessarily ground related) when directed to do so by supervisory staff in the performance of their duties in either an active or in a safety role.
To use the relevant gardening tools and equipment safely without risk to self or others.
To use chemical agents such as pesticides, herbicides and proprietary fertilizers in a safe manner without risk to self or others.
Shall be prepared to undertake additional training in order to fulfil the requirements of the post, satisfy new regulations/legislation or to further to develop the post holders duties.
Be expected to produce work to a consistently high standard of work across the whole range of duties and applications required.
The preparation and re-finishing with paint or varnish of garden furniture elements and storage of same on a seasonal basis.
The use and effective operation of four wheel drive vehicles with a variety of attachments such as trailers, salt/grit hopers, snow ploughs etc.
- Good standard of secondary education to GCSE level
- Has a clean driving licence for a four wheeled vehicle and is able to drive to other trust properties when required
- Willingness to undertake further skills/competence training as may be required to fulfil the required the changing demands of the post.
- Has own transport
- Awareness of current Health & Safety Legislation and related issues such as PPE, Safe Use of Tools
- Has some form of formal qualification in horticulture or related subject. Dry stone walling, fencing etc.
- Completion of a recognised apprenticeship or recognised formal period of training of at least three years duration in the horticultural industry
- Ability to work as an individual with a minimum of supervision or as part of a team.
- Ability to make sound judgements with regard to operational safety when in lone worker situation or when put under pressure by the situation or other workers.
- Able to use own initiative in relation to problem solving in order to resolve situations to a satisfactory conclusion
- Ability to drive four wheel drive vehicles in a range of weather conditions with a variety of attachments – tandem axle trailers, gritting hoppers, snow plough attachment etc.
- Able to demonstrate a reasonable knowledge of Health & Safety requirements in the workplace and how these should be applied in relation to particular tasks and situations.
- Has knowledge with regard to the safe use of gardens machinery, tools, chemical applications and access equipment.
- Able to demonstrate a fair knowledge of seasonal issues in relation to grounds maintenance and relevant planting schemes/activities as these would apply a different times of the year.
- Able to apply the knowledge, experience and judgement necessary to demonstrate, in a practical sense, the safe operation on specifically trained gardening equipment.
- Able to demonstrate the ability to make sound judgements with regard to operational safety when in lone worker situation or when put under pressure by the situation or other workers.
- To have recent relevant experience of working within a Grounds & Maintenance function aimed at ensuring the quality and high standards required
- Previous experience of working in a hospital\healthcare\care home environment
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Chris Sharpe
- Job title
- Estates Supervisor
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01535 294827
List all jobs in Support Services or all sectors