Fire & Health and Safety Manager - Grade F
- Fire & Health and Safety
- Grade F
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Airedale NHS Foundation Trust
- Steeton, Keighley
- £40,458 Per Annum
- Today at 23:59
AGH Solutions is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Airedale NHS Foundation Trust. We are proud of our NHS heritage, and proud to be supporting Airedale’s clinical services.
We provide a wide range of services from traditional facilities management and estate maintenance, to sterile services, wheelchair engineering and procurement, to clients both within and beyond the NHS.
We are looking for a Fire & Health and Safety Manager to join our team.
We are looking for a highly motivated, innovative and professional individual capable of managing Health & Safety and Fire for the organisation.
We are seeking an individual with experience and qualifications in both areas but will provide additional training for the right individual if required. You must be an effective communicator/negotiator with excellent interpersonal skills
Work collaboratively with AGH Solutions & Airedale NHS Foundation Trust to ensure that there is transparent understanding of responsibilities in respect of the wider Health & Safety & Fire agenda
To work closely with frontline managers and staff to ensure all Airedale NHS Foundation Trust workplace and patient environments strike an optimum balance with regard to clinical therapy and treatment, safety and security.
Main duties of the job
Be competent in Health and Safety and Fire compliance.
Lead the development, implementation, management and evaluation of the Trust’s Health & Safety & Fire arrangements.
Evaluate the organisations compliance with all relevant Health & Safety & Fire regulation, legislation, best practice & standards that apply to the organisation.
Be responsible for developing protocols and policies for the compliance with Health & Safety and Fire regulation
Work with Airedale NHS Foundation Trust’s HR stakeholders to articulate appropriate means & content of educational resources to enable delivery of a well-informed workforce cognisant of all health & safety & Fire regulation, legislation, best practice & standards that apply to their place of work.
Working for our organisation
AGH Solutions is a wholly owned subsidiary of Airedale NHS Foundation Trust and provides Estates, Facilities and procurement services for the Trust.
We are privileged to operate in a beautiful part of the country. The clinical services we support reach far up into the Yorkshire Dales, across the Airedale, Wharfedale and Craven patch. We are also lucky to have excellent transport links to Leeds, Bradford, Manchester and beyond. Leeds city centre is 25 minutes by train from Keighley.
We provide a wide range of services, from traditional facilities management and estate maintenance, to sterile services, wheelchair engineering and procurement.
Our vision is to bring you a flexible, responsive, high quality, value for money service.
Our NHS heritage means we work to the values and ethics of the NHS, and to those of Airedale NHS specifically.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
To provide strategic leadership at a corporate level for developing and advancing the health & safety and Fire agenda throughout the organisation.
To act as the organisations “Competent Person” for Health and Safety and Fire and to liaise closely with stakeholders to ensure all specialist advice and management of risk is provided and acted upon.
To lead the organisation on health & safety and fire issues, ensuring that all directors, managers and staff are aware of their obligations regarding health and safety at work.
To own and develop the Health & Safety and Fire strategies for the organisation with a view to developing continuous improvement in these areas and minimising risk for the organisation.
Establish and maintain effective co-operative working relationships with stakeholders at all levels, liaising with them on complex and potentially sensitive issues in a tactful and diplomatic manner, using skills of persuasion and influence as necessary.
Use specialist knowledge and experience of relevant Health & Safety and Fire regulation, legislation, best practice and standards to develop a coherent Health & Safety Strategy and annual forward plan for AGH Solutions and advise on and support the drafting of these for Airedale NHS Foundation Trust.
To prepare Health & Safety and Fire reports on a monthly basis aligned to the Group Health & Safety Committee agenda which provides clear and unambiguous assessment of focused Health & Safety and Fire projects.
To liaise with Estates staff and contractors to ensure work is undertaken to adequate and expected Health & Safety standards
To ensure robust oversight of RIDDOR reportable incidents with regular thematic analysis to ensure lessons can be learnt, shared, adopted to reduce likelihood of repetition.
Contribute and advise on the identification of Health & Safety associated risks to the organisation and ensure all relevant assurances are presented to the Group Health and Safety Committee in a timely and robust manner.
Be responsible for consulting, developing, implementing protocols and policies for all Health & Safety and Fire matters and overseeing the appropriate monitoring arrangements to demonstrate compliance.
To review and refresh all Health & Safety and Fire training learning materials and/or develop and provide training and/or materials to support staff in relevant matters.
Work with the communications team to articulate appropriate internal communications in relation to Health & Safety.
To present to the Group Health & Safety Committee and a number of other appropriate forums to convey, engage and articulate a positive, robust and transparent approach to all Health & Safety related challenges at all times.
Professional responsibility to undertake all relevant training and CPD updates upon regulations, standards, procedures, local rule, and new techniques appropriate to work being undertaken, and to ensure adherence with the membership regulations of the post holders professional governing body (e.g. C.I.O.B / R.I.C.S / I.O.S.H)
Developing and managing/overseeing an audit plan specific to ’soft’ Health & Safety issues that relate to staff interaction with products and equipment with H&S considerations (manual handling, slips trips and falls, conflict resolution etc.)
Developing and managing/overseeing training in response to specific issues that arise for the organisation e.g. COSHH being an issue mentioned
To take immediate action, where an immediate health and safety risk is identified, to remove or mitigate that risk. Minimise, as far as is safe and practical to do so, the impact of any mitigation on the provision of the service.
To provide and receive expert complex knowledge to ensure, co-ordinate and manage the Trust legal requirements for meeting the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and all other relevant UK and EEC health and safety legislation & regulations such as
- COSHH Regulations;
- Work place Regulations; and
- Management of Health and Safety at work regulations.
Liaise with the Health and Safety Executive as required by circumstances
To ensure that all risks and issues are identified on the AGH Solutions Limited risk management system, addressed and mitigated or notified appropriately.
Develop professional networks across Health & Safety and fire services to share best practice.
The post holder will be the designated responsible person (RP) for effective management and application of fire safety throughout the organisation. The RP will ensure continual compliance of all applicable legislation, i.e. The Regulatory Fire Safety Reform Order 2005, and work toward the implementation of the guidance stated within HTM 05-01: Managing Health Care Fire Safety, (as well as the full suite of Fire Code documents HTM’s) or providing an acceptable means of compliance both for the Trust and its users and the regulator (Fire & Rescue Authority)
The post holder will liaise directly with the regulator (Fire & Rescue Authority) for all fire safety matters, including evidence of compliance during external fire safety audit, interoperability events such as shared training, advising the regulator of Trust projects where the addition or extension of Trust buildings requires fire safety compliance, and where such projects present potential for temporary solutions to be agreed as part of compliance, response and access during incident/events requiring emergency agency attendance.
To liaise and advise the Estates Capital Team to ensure professional standards are maintained and the Airedale NHS Foundation Trusts Estates strategy is being delivered safely.
- Professional senior management qualification or have experience at equivalent level.
- Educated to degree level or able to demonstrate equivalent level of health and safety management competency
- Professional qualification in disciplines related to health and safety or fire engineering (eg NEBOSH Diploma)
- Member of professional body e.g. IOSH/British Safety Council
- Educated to masters degree level or able to demonstrate equivalent level of health and safety management competency
- Member of the Institute of Fire Engineers or Institute of Fire Prevention Officers.
- HTM Fire Risk Assessors Training
- Experience of managing complex and diverse safety services
- Experience of managing budgets
- Experience of Safety Management and the production and implementation of safety management strategies
- Experience in managing service contracts.
- Proven record in delivering change
- Experience in the development and delivery of training courses
- Experience of undertaking investigations and preparing reports on health and safety and fire incidents.
- Experience in undertaking detailed health and safety and fire audits.
- Experienced decision maker to meet organisational objectives including representing the organisation in negotiating with the HSE and LFB as required.
- Experience in the management of project works to address non-compliance with H & S legislation.
- Experience in managing budgets and the production of financial investment plans
- Experience in Incident Reporting & Risk Management Systems.
- Experience of large projects
- Understanding of acute hospital services and facilities
- Experience in developing and delivering complex long term fire and safety strategies
- Experience in a Healthcare environment
- Experience in producing board papers
Skills and Knowledge
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the application of Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and associated regulations, approved codes of practice, guidance and practical implications and application
- Knowledge of fire legislation and prevention strategies
- Budget management for large revenue budgets
- Advanced user level Microsoft Project
- Practical knowledge and familiar with the interpretation of the Building Regulations.
- Advanced user level Microsoft Excel
- Advanced user level Microsoft Excel
- Strong leadership and proven management skills
- Experienced in the management of modernisation and change
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to influence staff at all levels of the Organisation
- Ability to achieve objectives within agreed deadlines
- Ability to motivate teams and deliver challenging goals through those teams
The postholder will have regular contact with vulnerable people and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Jamie Firth
- Job title
- Estates Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01535 292915